News

Two reported dead after gunman opens fire at North Carolina university

Two people were killed and several others wounded when a suspect opened fire at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte on Tuesday (April 30). Local media reported that the suspect was taken into custody.

The suspect was not immediately identified by police, which set up a media staging area near the school.

“Run, Hide, Fight. Secure yourself immediately,” the university said on Twitter shortly before 6 p.m. (2200GMT)

The school said on its website the campus was on lockdown and that students and staff should “remain in a safe location.”

A spokeswoman for Charlotte-Mecklenberg Police Department confirmed there had been an active shooter at the university but declined to give any further information.

According to its website the University of North Carolina at Charlotte enrolls more than 26,500 students and employees 3,000 faculty and staff.

Show More

Related Articles

Check Also

Close
Close