News

Trump says immigrant deportations to start this weekend in 10 cities

U.S. authorities plan to start arresting immigrants eligible for deportation in 10 cities this weekend, U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday (July 12), adding that he was not concerned about the advance notice.

Trump warned last month about the planned deportations, which were earlier reported by the New York Times.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said he was not concerned that plans of the arrests have become publicly known, saying the deportations were not a secret.

“If the word gets out, it gets out,” he said.

At least 2,000 immigrant families are eligible for deportation and will be targeted in the raids, the Times reported, citing former and current officials.

“We’ll focus on criminals as much as a we can,” Trump added.

Mayors of a number of cities expected to be targeted have said they will not cooperate with deportations carried out by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

On Friday, members of the U.S. Congressional Hispanic Caucus criticized the raids and the planned deportations as cruel, saying they effectively amount to a new version of Trump’s so-called ‘family separation’ policy which sparked outrage last year.

Immigrant advocates have said also advance word of the raids could help some of those targeted evade arrest.

Demonstrators marched in downtown Philadelphia on Friday to protest the planned raids, calling for an end to ICE.

(Production: Mana Rabiee)

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close